Rajiv Gandhi’s assassinators commit suicide


Seven militants of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) who masterminded Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination 20 years ago, had committed suicide at their Konanakunte house.

On August 17, 1991, local police came to know the hideout and guarded it. Sivarasan and Subha, wanted in connection with the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case within— Deputy commissioner of police (east) Kempaiah who rushed to the house along with ACP Ashwatharamaiah on August 18 to carry out the secret operation to nab the men.

A group of policemen guarded the house, while sub-inspectors Balaji Singh, MC Srinivas, Ramesh Chandra, BK Shivaram, Eeshwaran and Manjegowda were at the spot. There was nothing apparent regarding the police cover, the guarding was done from some distance, without drawing too much attention. The Special Investigation Team (SIT) investigating the murder of Rajiv Gandhi was informed. SIT directed the city police not to proceed till an antidote team arrived from Lucknow.

On August 19, Sivarasan came to know of the police operation. That evening, the activists emerged from the house and opened fire on the NSG and police, who retaliated, forcing the LTTE ultra back into the house.

Assistant commissioner of police—city special branch Balaji Singh, who was then a sub-inspector, and one NSG commando were injured. Policemen stormed into the house. On August 20, they found that Sivarasan had shot himself, while the others had died of cyanide poisoning.

Police found a house which belonged to a man called Anjenappa, which had been given to a man called Ranganath. The house was empty, but a driver who used to work for its residents stated that he had taken the men’s belongings to a Tamil church.

About Marc Brentwood

Check Also

Integrated Border Management Pakistan

Integrated Border Management: Scope, Challenges and Framework for Pakistan

by Rashid Munir Siddiqui (2017) Table of Contents Abstract              …

Powered by keepvid themefull earn money