Coinciding with the 10th anniversary of 9/11, two of the three men involved in a possible Al Qaida plot to conduct a terror attack, are believed to be U.S. citizens or have U.S. traveling documents, American officials said Friday.
Their main mission is to explode a car bomb in either New York or Washington, but if that proves impossible, they have been ordered to simply cause as much destruction as they can, one of the U.S. officials indicated. Al Qaida had dispatched would-be terrorists, reached U.S. officials elaborated.
A CIA informant who has proven reliable in the past approached intelligence officials overseas to point out that the men had been ordered by newly minted Al Qaida leader Ayman al Zawahri to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks Sunday by doing damage on U.S. soil. The tipster says the would-be attackers are of Arab origin and may speak Arabic as well as English. Counterterrorism experts were looking for certain names associated with the threat, but it was unclear whether the names were real or fake.
Anti-terrorism officials have noted around the clock, if the threat is real, but so far have not been able to confirm that he was working, the official said, speaking under cover of anonymity to discuss the investigation.
Meanwhile, additional security was provided to the population in both cities to protect the shock of the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people airliners into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon a decade ago. It was the worst terrorist attack in the history of the nation, and Al-Qaida has long been to strike again, the dream birthday. But it could take weeks to say the intelligence agencies to determine if the threat is real.