A threat in connection with the anniversary of the September 11 attacks is imminent. An official of the Obama administration says that the information is focused on New York City or Washington.
U.S. intelligence agencies have received information about a credible but still unconfirmed terrorism threat tied to the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, officials pointed out.
Thursday night, Matt Chandler, a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, said in a statement, “It is accurate that there is specific, credible but unconfirmed threat information…as we always do before important dates like the anniversary of 9/11, we will undoubtedly get more reporting in the coming days….we continue to ask the American people to remain vigilant as we head into the weekend.”
A senior White House official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said President Obama was briefed on the threat information Thursday morning, with updates throughout the day. Though the federal government had already enhanced security for Sunday’s 10-year anniversary, “the president directed the counter-terrorism community to redouble its efforts in response to this credible but unconfirmed information,” the official said.
Another administration official said that the threat information was focused on New York City or Washington.
“The threat right now has not been confirmed. I want to emphasize the knowledge that is credible, but it is not confirmed,” New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said at a news conference on Thursday evening with the police chief Raymond Kelly and Janice Fedarcyk, Deputy Director of the New York office of the FBI field.
Officials declined to say which group could be behind the threat, but I’m Fedarcyk referred several times to obtain information about searching for Osama bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan.